Park "Neue Welt"
The listed 2.8 hectare concert park "Neue Welt" was built between 1901 and 1903 as part of an ensemble of ball hall, festival meadow and park. The area is located in the district of Pölbitz between the concert and ball hall "Neue Welt" on Leipziger Straße and the Muldental cycle path.
The park was designed as an outdoor area for the ball hall Neue Welt, the largest terraced hall in Western Saxony for up to 3,000 guests. It represented a typical concert park of the turn of the century, consisting of an orchestra shell with open-air terraces (covered verandas) on both sides and a lavishly designed park centre.
Although the creator of the park cannot be named with certainty, the initiative and planning can essentially be attributed to the owner of the Neue Welt, Richard Harzer. The strictly symmetrical garden he laid out featured a grotto, fountains, animal enclosures and artificial rocks. In addition, a rosarium, an alpinum and a dahlia plantation were created. Trees and shrubs with colourful leaves were selected carefully. The artistic framework was particularly highlighted with the installation of numerous garden sculptures by the sculptor Rudolph Mosebach, born in Zwickau in 1860.
In the 50s and 60s the garden deteriorated. Only after the transfer of ownership to the City of Zwickau was the decision taken to preserve the property.
A comprehensive reconstruction of the park took place between 1982-1985. However, it was no longer possible to restore all of the original features. In addition to the historical park axis with the fountain (cupid with swan), the extensions to the north and south were redesigned. Small garden areas - a heather garden and a rosarium - separate the southern festival area from the old park centre. With the preservation of the nymph (historical part of the park) and the four muses (at the main entrance), the artistic charisma of the park could be preserved. A network of paths with a total length of 1.4 km invites park visitors to discover the dendrological diversity.
Today, the eastern end is formed by the Muldenpromenade lined with an old lime tree avenue - part of the supra-regional long-distance Muldental cycle path - directly on the western bank of the Zwickauer Mulde.