Museums in the City of Zwickau

August Horch Museum

Exactly where Audi was founded, the completely redesigned museum has been presenting Zwickau's multi-faceted automotive history since 2004.

Galerie am Domhof

Today's Galerie am Domhof was opened in 1878 as an exhibition hall of the city art association Zwickauer Kunstverein.

The neoclassical style building is partly built on medieval foundations of a former Latin school. Together with the restored medieval Priesterhäuser (priests' houses) and St. Mary's Cathedral, the building forms a special urban ensemble in the centre of Zwickau.

KUNSTSAMMLUNGEN ZWICKAU Max-Pechstein-Museum

The KUNSTSAMMLUNGEN ZWICKAU Max-Pechstein-Museum combine a collection of art and natural-history exhibits that can be experienced in various settings within an impressive building protected as historic monument.

KUNSTSAMMLUNGEN ZWICKAU Max-Pechstein-Museum
link to full size version of the image

Die Priesterhäuser

In the heart of Zwickau just opposite St. Mary’s Cathedral you can find four small houses from the late Middle Ages standing the test of time. This ensemble of historical buildings was restored in its original style and furnished with love to every tiny detail. Today it houses the museum of local history and culture of the municipality of Zwickau offering exciting insights into the everyday life of previous generations.

Robert Schumann House

On 8 June, 1810, the composer and music critic Robert Schumann is born at the town square ‚Hauptmarkt‘ in Zwickau. The Robert Schumann House was opened in 1856, on occasion of the hundredth anniversary of Schumann’s death. Today the museum and archive houses the world’s largest collection of manuscripts, original portraits and properties of the composer and his wife, the pianist Clara Wieck (1819-1896). The room where Schumann was born is furnished entirely with belongings of the famous artist couple.