The Czech town is located about 100 kilometres north of Prague in the valley of the Lusatian Neisse River. With about 46,000 inhabitants it is the administrative, cultural and sports centre of the Jizera Mountains. Its name derives from jablón - apple tree and nisa - Neisse.
First mentioned in a document in 1356, it was not until the 16th century, when the first glassworks was established, that people settled permanently in Jablonec. Glass production quickly developed into the most important branch of industry in the city. Together with jewellery production, which began to flourish in the 18th century, glass as an export commodity formed the basis of visible prosperity in the city. This is shown by magnificent Art Nouveau buildings and factory owners' villas along the Podhorská ulice (Mountain Road).
Besides other architectural monuments such as the old and new town hall and the Church of the Sacred Heart of Jesus, the Glass and Jewellery Museum is well worth a visit.
Since the year 2000, many streets and buildings have been thoroughly renovated. The theatre underwent rejuvenation, as did many green spaces, which make the entire townscape appear attractive.
A milestone is the new building of the Eurocentre, which was constructed in 2004-2005. In place of the old trading house there is now a modern, light-flooded building where cultural events, conferences and trade fairs regularly take place. Every spring, for example, EUROREGIONTOUR, a travel trade fair with a national reputation, opens its doors not only to trade visitors.
Jablonec delights its visitors with numerous sports facilities. In winter, the ski slopes and cross-country ski trails in the nearby Jizera Mountains attract many tourists. In summer, three reservoirs, tennis courts, riding stables and hiking trails invite you to enjoy sporting activities.