City Archive

The Zwickau City Archive is one of the most important municipal archives in Saxony. The holdings date back to the 13th century, the first documented mention of the archive dates from 1487.

From 1921 onwards, the historical archive with its extensive holdings was moved to the museum building on the former Schießanger. In addition to the valuable municipal law book from 1348 and a copy of the Sachsenspiegel from 1472, the documents on the Reformation period are of particular importance.

These include, for example, council minutes that have been handed down since 1510 and council bills. The salary receipts of Thomas Müntzer, letters from Martin Luther, Philipp Melanchthon and other Reformers as well as writings by the first Protestant pastor Nikolaus Hausmann are also kept in the archive.

City archive entrance (right) in the building of the Municipal Museum
link to full size version of the image

Kontakt

  • City Archive

    Silva Teichert
    Director

    Postal Address

    PF 20 09 33
    08009 Zwickau

    Visitor Address

    Lessingstraße 1
    08058 Zwickau

    Get in touch

    Phone Number: +49 375 834701
    Telefax Number: +49 375 834747
Archives in the magazine area of ​​the city archive
link to full size version of the image