Johanniskirche

Having been built in the 13th century, the Johanniskirche (St John's Church) is both one of the oldest and smallest places of worship in the city. Practically in ruins at the beginning of the 1880s, the church was rebuilt and extended in 1886.

Its three separate periods of construction are still clearly visible from the inside today, namely in the 13th-century street chapel (the altar and vestry), the 14th-century extended village church (including the coffered ceiling) and the two 19th-century aisles covered by galleries, which are supported, in turn, by strong double columns.

Among this church's priceless treasures is the Anna Selbdritt, located in the northern aisle, which was sculpted by the Zwickau wood carver Peter Breuer in around 1500.

link to full size version of the image
  • Visitor Address

    Crimmitschauer Str. 86
    08058 Zwickau