The park by the swan pond is the oldest garden design complex in Zwickau. The foundation stone for the complex, which originally consisted of five ponds, was laid in 1473 on the initiative of two councillors and mining entrepreneurs, Martin Römer and Hans Federangel.
The plans for the design of the park with the Great Pond as its centrepiece were drawn up in the middle of the 19th century. It was created in the 19th century by the important landscape architect Carl Eduard A. Petzold. In its original form and use, the Swan Pond Park is exemplary for the garden art of the 19th century. It combines all the features of a city park of its time of origin. The swans, which have been living on the pond since 1850, finally gave the park its present name.
In the 1950s, the complex was given its current public park character. The wide meadows, the gondola station and the play castle on the Melzerwiese offer a variety of opportunities for sports and games. Numerous clubs also use the area. The extensive network of paths allows for relaxing walks with interesting views over the Swan Pond's wide expanse of water and the varied park areas.