Cars from Zwickau have been a tradition for over 120 years. It was from here that innovations such as left-hand drive or front-wheel drive in series production began their international triumphal march.
Today, Zwickau is one of Germany's leading automotive manufacturing locations with Volkswagen Sachsen GmbH and the supplier industry based here. The VW site in Zwickau is being developed into the largest European competence centre for e-mobility. All new electric vehicles based on the modular e-drive system (MEB) will initially come from Zwickau from 2020.
About one in five of the employees of the City of Zwickau work in the automotive and automotive supplier industry. The products and services extends from A for air bags to S for seats and Z for zero-emission drive technologies. Vendor parts from Zwickau provide movement on the entire continent.
Other selected companies:
- FES GmbH Fahrzeug-Entwicklung Sachsen offers concept development, the construction of prototype vehicles, component and entire vehicle testing as well as technical documentation from a single source
- INTILION GmbH, which operates a modern research and development centre in Zwickau and manufactures complex energy storage systems
- CLARIOS Zwickau GmbH & Co.KG with the world's largest production facility for special batteries, designed for an annual capacity of 6.6 million starter batteries.
- Tenneco Zwickau GmbH, manufacturer of silencer systems.
- Snop Automotive Zwickau GmbH, a globally leading manufacturer of structural components and body subsystems. The hot forming plant which was commissioned in 2015, is the first in the group worldwide.