The granary that Martin Römer built for his town in 1481 is the biggest and most elaborate medieval granary in Saxony. It ranks among the most important granaries of its kind in Germany.
The massive roof structure in late Gothic style dating back to 1480 has largely been preserved. Initially, there were six storage floors, compared to five today, and a double roof structure. From a historic architectural perspective, it is one of the earliest roof structures of this size, thereby making the granary a monument of national importance.
Restoration of the building that was once prone to dilapidation was completed in 2014. Since September 2014, it has been home to one of the most modern public libraries in Saxony.