Martin Römer had new facilities built for the Latin school that was first mentioned in 1383. Römer was a multi-talented man who acted as a councillor, foreign tradesman, mining entrepreneur and patron of the urban community.
In the 16th century, important personalities such as Georgius Agricola, Stefan Roth, Leonhard Natter and Petrus Plateanus lectured at the Latin school. They were all in close contact with the Wittenberg reformers. The Zwickau Latin school had been renowned for its excellent humanistic approach to education since the 15th century, and its reputation went far beyond the town’s boundaries.
In 1876, the new Art Society building was constructed on this site, which has been home to the Galerie am Domhof since 1978.