At its inauguration in 1942, this sports facility was called ’Südkampfbahn’; in the GDR days it was known as Georgi-Dimitroff-Stadion and was renamed as Westsachsenstadion after the fall of the Berlin Wall. This is where Zwickau football teams played, sometimes even in the Oberliga, the premiere league in the GDR. The matches played by BSG Sachsenring Zwickau in the European Cup Winners’ Cup are legendary. This team was the predecessor of today’s FSV Zwickau and regularly thrilled crowds of 40,000 in the 1970s. Following extensive renovation work, the Westsachsenstadion was reopened in the summer of 2014 and has been used as a multifunctional sports arena ever since.